4th of July, 2012

I would love to say this was an uneventful 4th, but really it was quite eventful, but had nothing to do with the 4th!
  We had decided this would be our last day at the house. Since Dave had the day off, and the ward had helped move our stuff into the pod on Tuesday night, we could finish packing away any leftover stuff, and clean the house.  Early Wednesday morning, Dave was anxious to get started for a few reasons.  The first was that all of our stuff did NOT fit in our mini mobile storage unit.  I'm still not sorry we are using it, but we have a TON of stuff (food storage, pictures, stuff that would be ruined in storage heat) at my parents house, and we got THE BIGGEST POD! If we didn't have a place to store this stuff and had to put everything in storage, it would have never worked!  Anyway, Dave also was just really anxious to be completely done over there. 
  So he left before 7am and just said for J and I to join him whenever we got up.  At 7:40 I was showered and dressed and getting ready to eat breakfast and we were going to head out.  Dave texted to see if we were close to leaving, and that's when things got dicey.  It became clear that Dave was NOT in a happy place, so I called him. He told me that he was losing his mind and his patience and was not thinking clearly anymore. He told me that he "hated all of our crap" and he was going to load anythat that was not in the pod into the back of my dads truck and throw it away.  Uhhhhhh...WHAT???
   Let me just go ahead and insert here, that I AM THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED TO BE CRAZY IN OUR RELATIONSHIP!!!!  Dave is normal, even tempered, and NEVER goes off the deep end.  So.... I guess it was bound to happen eventually....?
  I told Dave to go to McDonalds and get a soda and just sit there until I could get there but he said he was incapable of doing that or calming down.  I was kindof freaking out, so I woke up my dad and told him I needed him to come with us to the house, STAT!~  We got there about 20 minutes later, and with my dad there, Dave didn't feel like he could completely show his crazy.  There really wasn't much left to do, just little things that Dave had looked at for so long they were driving him insane. He and my dad organized everything left into 2 piles-
1. Keep and take to the house
2. Take to the dumpster
  I went upstairs and started at the back corner of the upstairs and cleaned every room. Well, I had already completely cleaned out and cleaned all the bathrooms, so I swept, mopped, and vacuumed everywhere else. It was hot, and I was REALLY hurting (my back, my legs) but I knew I needed to get this done so Dave could stop worrying about the house. (Our actual close date isn't until Saturday, but he was just really wanting to get it done)  So two hours later, I had cleaned the whole house, Dave and my dad had taken everything to the house but the trampoline, and Dave was back to take a load to the dumpster. I left because the house was done, I can't help load heavy stuff, and I sort of felt like death. 
   After a hot shower, some clean clothes and a little perspective, I was fine,  just exhausted.  Dave came home just before lunch and was extremely sheepish about his little breakdown.  We had a nice BBQ lunch with us, mom and dad, and Amber's family. The Kids dressed up in various costumes and had a great time playing pretend.  Jaxon is still learning sharing, especially now that at Grandma and Grandpa's house, his toys, are EVERYONE'S TO PLAY WITH.  We have no problem with this, it's only fair. But Jaxon (erroneously) assumed that since everyone was in his costumes, he should be the boss of play.  We heard him say several things like, "NO! YOU are MY SIDEKICK!!"  or, "FINE! You can't wear my ninja costume anymore!"  For the record, we are working on it, but 6.5 years of his own stuff is not going to be broken in a day.  And yes, we are fully aware that Cooper is really going to chap Jaxon's hide when he is big enough to get into, use incorrectly, and probably break a lot of Jaxon's things....but we ARE working on it!
  After lunch we drowsed and chatted and Dave and dad went back to the house to load up the treadmill and trampoline, take one more load to the dumpster, and head back.  Dave texted me as he was closing the garage and said, "Just closed the garage door for the last time. Moved out. Goodbye house."  I'm not super sentimental, but it was a little sad.  We lived in an apartment for 6 months and have lived in that little house the rest of our 9.5 years of marriage.  Every family memory we have has been made in that house including Jaxon's babyhood and all his milestones.  While I absolutely feel like it's the right time to move, it doesn't mean that it's not a little sad to leave a place with that much history!
  After Dave and dad got back with their last load, Dave took Jaxon to a firework stand and let him pick out a few things. They let them off in the backyard while me, grandma and grandpa cheered them on, and then we rested some more.  Brit and Taylor came over later to visit for few hours and it was so nice to chat with them.
   I think I got pretty dehydrated working at the house, so I couldn't keep anything down all day.  I didn't feel super hot, but having the house done is a huge weight lifted, so all's well that ends well, right? Though we didn't do a whole lot of celebrating, I am absolutely grateful to live in this free country!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Ash, so glad I got to update on your blog. can't believe you only have 8 weeks left. Little Cooper is the luckiest baby in the world to come to your family. Can't wait to hear where you end up moving. You are both so wonderful and faithful. I love you!