What on Earth?


Little Jaxon D has been acting so strange lately! I am going to chalk it up to a growth spurt, and just hope he "grows out of it!"

Here are some of the current things he is doing that are very unlike him-

1. SO SO SO Whiney.
2. Cries at the drop of a hat

3. Eats ravenously (SO not Jaxon)

4. Falling asleep anywhere, and ANYTIME (also NOT Jax)

5. Sleeping like crazy

Last Friday he fell asleep in the car at 6:15 and wouldn't wake back up, so we just put him to bed and he slept a solid 12 hours.

Then yesterday, he fell asleep in the car at 4:40!!! Seriously!!! I knew he was tired so I let him sleep in the carseat while I read a book, thinking if I moved him he would wake up cranky, but if I left him in, he would get a good 45 minute to an hour nap.

40 minutes later he woke up and was cranky and crying and disoriented. I could tell he was still so tired, so I said, "Let's watch a movie on the couch!" I laid him down and covered him with a blanket and by the time I got the DVD in, he was out again.

(Let me interject here- that Jaxon is a babywise baby. Thus- he is a great GREAT sleeper...but he ONLY sleeps in his bed! That's how he was trained. With the exception of the car occasionally and mostly when he was really young, I have never NEVER seen him fall asleep anywhere else in the house.)

At 6:00 I tried to wake him up because we were supposed to go to a fun family night activity at 6:30...after rubbing his head and saying his name loudly...all he did was start snoring.

At 6:15 I turned on the lights sat him up, and wouldn't let him snuggle into me. I succeeded in starting 15 minutes of non-stop crying...all with his eyes closed. I put him in bed and rubbed his back till he stopped crying, and again he slept till 6am. 13 HOURS OF SLEEP!

Also, yesterday for Breakfast he ate:


1. One bowl of yogurt
2. One bowl of cereal
3. One baggie of pretzels
4. One whole banana
5. Half a bagel
6. One carton of blueberries
7. A juice box
8. A capri sun

Jaxon is NOT a big eater...in fact...it would be stretching it a lot to even call him an "eater" at all... it's basically dead last on his priority list. (Must me nice, huh?)

Any ideas on what is going on with this kid???

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Ashley is he running a fever? You probably would have mentioned it. I hate out of the ordinary things like that, I am a worrier, I would call the doctor if it goes on a few more days! But I'm probably not the person to ask considering most of the things I worry my kids have they never do... :) Is he usually that deep of a sleeper? How does he act the rest of the day when he is awake? Hmmmm...I just don't know. Please keep me posted! Now I'm concerned!

Alexandra Robertson said...

Maybe he is pregnant:)

Anonymous said...

Alex- HYSTERICAL! But that pretty much fits the bill huh???

Valerie: said...

my oh my...i sure wish Sydney would take naps like that and still go to bed...if she falls asleep in the evening then she is up till 11pm, that is why i hate when she takes naps and she is FOUL when she wakes up. I wonder why this change...i am not sure if a growth spurt is the really but maybe so since you said he is whinny and usually not. Maybe his little legs are in pain. I guess thats how babies are right, they eat a lot more too...ummm I would look online.

Sherri Macdonald said...

Ashley, As the mother of 4 boys, I can tell you that this is a normal day at my house. Aaron, who is just a little older that Jax does this off and on. It is most likely a growth spurt. All boys go through this kind of stage throughout the year. It's killer when they all start eating like this at the same time! I can't keep milk stocked and we go through cereal like its going out of business! I wouldn't worry too much. I suggest trying to put him down for an early afternoon nap on the days he seems most cranky. And this can be hard for a boy that thinks he has outgrown them. We have quiet time every day at our house at 2:00. Jared always sleeps, Aaron varies depending on his activity that day. But it makes a world of difference when Aaron does lay down, even just for an hour. And he sleeps hard like Jaxon does. I made my 2 older boys both take naps until they were in Kindergarten. So, I wouldn't worry. It's a phase and will pass. We can talk more later if you'd like.

Brandis said...

My kids have all had days like that from time to time too. Probably nothing to worry about unless it becomes a regular thing. Just take advantage of the extra time while you can. :)

AnnaMarie said...

How did I miss this post? Anyhow, it's great when your kid sleeps 13 hours at night! Not that I would know, but I can imagine it in my dreams. I am sure that it is nothing to worry about. And that's coming from the wife of a doctor.