My Squarefoot Garden!

HURRAY! I am so excited about this garden, and have been waiting until the long summer months were over. My sister has a business building and planting squarefoot gardens! It's so great because you can put it anywhere~ (we put it on a corner of our dead lawn) She mixes the perfect soil componants and even gets free coffee grounds from Star bucks to mix in ,because it helps the PH balance of the soil. You can use a squarefoot garden year after year, and only need to add in one thing to the soil each planting season! Okay, yes, that is a serious plug for my sister, but don't run out and call her just yet, she is looking to hire a strapping young HS guy to work for her a couple days a week because moving hundreds of pounds of soil takes it's toll on a teeny tiny body!

SO, the moment you have all been waiting for----MY GARDEN!



I went to home depot because I wanted a couple plants that you get starters for and don't just start from seeds. (varieties of bell peppers) As an aside, the pepper plants didn't look so good when I bought them at HD, but it was all they had, and I am hoping to nurse them back to health. If they poop out, I will pull them out and plant something else in a couple weeks.!

I also got 4 cute pots and my 4 favorite herbs to plant next to my garden.

So aside from my herb pots and peppers, I have tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, two varieties of carrots, beans, squash, and something else which I can't remember right now!

I have been lovingly watering and watching it for almost a week, and HURRAY! My first two plants have sprouted up! Squash, and cucumbers!

First- the cucumber...this is magnified a ton! It is currently probably about a centimeter high!



Next, the squash-also greatly magnified! I love this little thing...doesn't it remind you of Little Shop of Horrors?

4 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

How fun. I wish I could be there to have one of those gardens. I think about this every time I buy herbs at the grocery store. Thanks for sharing those great pics!

The Ferrells said...

Love the pictures--let's hope the seeds just keep growing and producing!!

Trish said...

Square foot gardening is the best! I kind of wish I would have put my basil and rosemary with the oregano in my other garden because they are growing out of control! I should tell people to come over and help themselves to the basil because I haven't had much energy to cook lately. Honestly, it is more the basil than the rosemary. And the oregano is superbly out of control, but it isn't taking over the square foot garden at least! Oh, and I planted cucumber and it cross pollinated with the tomatoes and I had these fat, longish orange things. And the cucumber plant likes to wrap itself around all the other plants. Eventually I just pulled it out so it didn't take over the whole garden!

The Linn Clan said...

Your garden looks awesome! I've always wanted to start gardening (but too lazy, I'm sure)... so when I have a home with a gardening area and the energy to do it, I'll be calling you!