Nie Hau From China

Hello! Here we are in China, and we have adjusted pretty well. With traveling all night and half the day, it messes you all up anyways, so it wasn't a big deal. Today we went to a huge outdoor market, and haggled a lot over prices (well, we found things we wanted, and my dad haggled over prices) it's funny, because the difference in price was usually a dollar or less, but dad is ALL ABOUT a good deal. I got a couple hats, some cold weather boots, and some jeans. The jeans experience was pretty funny- so that is the story I will tell today.
We went to the Jeans booth because even with my "long johns" under my jeans, I was pretty cold, so we bought another warmer, fluffier pair. Well, I didn't think that both pairs of long johns would fit under my regular jeans, so my dad said we should go to "his jeans lady" and get new ones. We got to the jeans stall, and at the same time I was explaining about the jeans, we wanted to know where the restroom was. So at the same time I was trying to explain that I didn't want a pair of jeans that fit, but a bigger pair, my sisters were trying to ask where the bathroom was. Neither explanation was going very well, so my sisters drew a picture. Finally the lady started laughing, and motioned that she understood. She thought I needed bigger jeans because I had split mine while trying to use a squater toilet! Slightly embarrassing!
Anyway, she kept bringing me jeans that fit great, NOT understanding that I needed them bigger. She kept thinking I wanted them Stretchier. So finally I had one pair on, and motioned that I wanted ANOTHER pair, to put on OVER the pair I was already wearing. She thought I was nuts, but she brought me a bigger pair. Finally I said I would take the bigger ones, but not the smaller ones, and she was really confused. Right after that, as we were leaving the market, we saw two women screaming hysterically and sort of wrestling with each other. One had a brick in her hand and was screaming, crying, and trying to get away from the other one motioning that she was going to throw it. The other was screaming and trying to stop her. We got out of the way, becuase none of us wanted to get hit by a rogue brick!
I did end up using the "squater toilet" which is pretty standard here...for my first try, it wasn't too shabby....good news, and bad news. The good news is that I didn't get anything on me! The bad news is that I don't think I got much in the hole in the ground either!

5 comments:

Boyce said...

OK THAT is hilarious! I can picture that story happening to you perfectly...and the rogue brick...LOL. ...Glad you're having fun. Keep the stories coming!

Jason and Kate said...

Gotta love the squatters! I would always use it on our tour because the old folks wanted nothing to do with it so I never had to stand in a line.

Rachel said...

That is Hillarious. I hope you are having the time of your life>

AnnaMarie said...

That is really disgusting about the squatter. Get with it. :) Have fun!

Marie said...

Come home! I'm jealous that you're there and I'm not! Glad you're having a great time. I miss you!
ps - I hope you don't aspire to ever fit into the giant jeans you convinced that poor woman to sell you :-).