My sister the SAINT, my son the HITTER

Ahhhh dear. It's been quite the week. Not bad, just busy. Before I tell this story, know that I already feel immensely guilty... yesterday, my little sis. took Jaxon from noon- 7pm so that I could catch up on my photo editing before another weekend of shooting and so I could teach two launch classes without having Jaxon in the daycare the whole time. That in itself is so selfless. (Let me insert here, that I have said it before, and I will continue to say it, Amber is one of the most service oriented people I know. She does not do it for recognition, she does it because she has such a kind heart. She takes after my dad, and she cannot bear to see anyone in need- OF ANYTHING! I was in need of time, so she set aside ALL of her needs to help me!) Add on the fact that she has 3 kids, ages 3, almost 2 and 6 months...add 2 year old Jaxon to the mix, and that is a recipe for chaos! Anyway, Jaxon did fine most of the day (or at least Amber said he did, so as not to make me any more guilty) but he did have several hitting incidents. I just don't know what to do. He responds well (as in- he crys hysterically and is SO SAD) when we spank him, but what does that teach? "I am going to hit you, so you won't hit anyone else?" I'm having trouble reconciling that one. we take things away, but if it is not IMMEDIATE, he really doesn't understand. Does anyone have a suggestion?
So, I felt very guilty for-
1. letting my already overwhelmed sister babysit all day
2. Jaxon whacking her children several times
3. Pawning Jaxon off,
4. Not spending enough time teaching my son correct behavior.
Needless to say it was a looooooooong day for everyone. So today I decided that it would be a Jaxon and mom day...not just Jaxon trailing along with me on all my errands and housework. So after the gym we went and bought baby pumpkins and paint. We set up shop in the drive way, put on an old shirt and went to town. I didn't "make him paint correctly" and couldn't care less at any messes he made. As an added bonus, Jaxon's buddy Jack and his mom came over to paint too! Jaxon had a good time and was COMPLETELY FILTHY by the time we finished. Then another added bonus, Amber called and said Sonic was doing $0.25 corndogs and ice cream cones for Halloween. We packed the dirty boys up and headed to Sonic. A good time was had by all!
My house is still messy, my photos still aren't done, but I am feeling a lot better about the different hats I wear, and the order of importance I assign to each one. Well, being a mother means coming second. And as a mother, the more I remember that, the happier I actually am.
So, I need two suggestions, how can I repay my dear, sweet, saintly, sister? And how do I stop Jaxon's hitting? (If you have any potty training ideas I would take those as well!)

5 comments:

ThePalmers said...

That was a really nice post Sis, but you don't need ideas of how to repay me. You do a lot for me already, and are going to pay me back way more than you owe tomorrow. I sure LOVE you Sis!

Momma Malia said...

i agree with you on 'what does spanking teach them about hitting' clint and i are both non-spankers, which is funny because our parents aren't non-spankers. brailyn swats at me, and only me so far, when she doesn't want to do something and we do the time out thing. i know that she still instinctively swats me but i can see that right away she knows she shouldn't have, so maybe the time outs are working. that's all i got woman. probably not much help. maybe if i had a boy instead i could give better advice.

ThePalmers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ThePalmers said...

Two things:

1) Very good use of "couldn't" care less instead of what most people say -- "could" care less.

2) As far as repaying Amber, a week-long vacation to Hawaii for her and her family should suffice.

Brandt

Kelly said...

Ashley: First of all potty training...don't do it until he is good and ready. I talked to about 10 different mother's of boys and all said I started my 1st son at 2 1/2 and fought him on it until he was 3, then I started my second son at 3 and he never had an accident. So after much asking around I decided to wait until Parker was 3. The week after his 3 birthday I started and he probably had 3 accidents in his life. Honestly, it's good advice, it's more stress on you then them when you start too early. Girls on the other hand they say can be done at 2 1/2 that means I better get thinking on my girls! :0

Oh and as far as Jaxon hitting and you spanking, I have learned the hard way with my first that Jaxon is still a baby, even though being your first you feel like he's going on 5 (I know I did with Parker). But he is going through a phase and the more you redirect him and don't make too big of a deal about it, the quicker it goes away. NOw that I have the girls I am so much less uptight and they are so much better behaved. With Parker I was out to "teach" him anything and everything and I learned too late that he is still learning how to interact, not yet how when I hit...I get spanked. Every book I have read suggested that the mind can't do that until 3 or older. So my advice is catch him being good, redirect him if he does hit, and it will pass! :) I love you Ash!