Odds and Ends...

There are just a bunch of odds and ends floating around in my head that I am going to blog about...I think this post may get a little sentimental, but I will start with something that absolutely melted my heart about 15 minutes ago-

1. I was putting Jaxon down for his nap. I take him in, get "paci and bumble" and then he puts his head on my shoulder for a primary song (or two if he's lucky and im not too tired) anyway, after I finished a rousing rendition of "Teach Me to Walk" Jaxon picked up his head, smiled at me and said "ENCORE! ENCORE!" I could not stop laughing! I also couldn't stop singing because everytime he said "encore" at the end of a song, I couldn't not sing another!! I was so surprised he knew what that meant. Right before his nap we watched a new Cailloo video, where Cailloo puts on a puppet show and at the end his mom Says A"Encore" but there is no explaination after that about what encore means! What a smartie pants!!

2. This new song on my blog- it's by a group I just discovered (I have no idea if they are current or 20 years old..not a clue) called Cloud Cult, and I LOVE THEM! Anyway, I think it was just the right time for me to fall in love with this particular song. Pretty much the only words are "I love my mother, I love my father, but when it's been time to go, I need you, I love you more." It just struck me because I have been talking ( A lot) and lamenting (A lot ) about my parents leaving to China. There is no doubt my mom is my best girl-friend, and no doubt I will miss them terribly, but I just wanted Dave to know, that he is the one. That wherever he is, I will be. I love my own family that I grew up in, but now Dave and Jaxon are my first family. And while I can live (sadly) without my parents, I cannot live without him. (is that sappy enough for you?)

3. Just thinking a little more about my grandpa and reading tributes to him on other cousins blogs. He really was such an amazing man, and Im sure that my dad got all his great qualities from his father. My grandparents have 10 children and 77 grandkids, the number of great-grandkids must be over 100 by now! He served 5 missions, and LOVE being a missionary. He would joke that when the sign up sheets for splits with the missionaries would go around the ward, he would be the only one to sign up, and it was pretty funny that the young wippersnappers needed an old man to show them the ropes in the mission field. He would call Grandma "toots" and she would often sit on his lap, even late into his 90's. I didn't know this until reading my cousins blog, but they celebrated their 72nd wedding anniversary the day before he passed away. Grandpa leaves a wonderful legacy and I am looking forward to going up to Utah this weekend for the services.

5 comments:

CJB said...

I am irritated that my work computer is no longer showing pics. This is really going to cramp my love for blogging at work!!! So I can only imagine your great pics that you put up. But I love the random thought sharing. You do have one smart little cookie there!

Kelly said...

Ashley:
I am a selfish blogger. I read your posts daily but never comment. I always love when people comment on mine and you are one of those people. So I wanted to let you know what an inspiration you are to me. Truly things you say in your blog are so how I feel or want to feel. You are amazing and such a dear mother, wife and daughter how lucky Dave is to have you and also your parents. Just know I read all of your posts and will try to be better at commenting on them..that's have the fun is seeing what others say! :) I love you ASh!

Momma Malia said...

your grandpa sounds like a great guy. hope you have a good trip and enjoy seeing family.

Sarah said...

Jaxon is so fun. I love his appropriate useage of "encore". Good job, buddy.
Ash, your grandpa sounds like a wonderful man. I'm sure he's still doing what he loves on the other side.
Love you.

Flaherty Fam said...

Kids are so smart, aren't they? Bradock amazes me everyday with things he does or knows. I am sorry to hear about your parents leaving and your Grandpa passing away. Sometimes I just hate change, but know it has to happen or my life would be so boring and normal.