I'm back

Well, Sunday night here, and I'm alone...physically and metaphorically. I got back this morning from my grandfather's funeral, and it was a really special time. I am so glad that I was able to go, and even more glad that all 4 of my brothers and my sister got to go as well. The funeral was the best I have ever been to. (I have only been to 4, but still...) all of my grandpa's 10 kids talked about him for 3-5 minutes. I was worried it would get a little long-winded and (so sorry to say this...) BORING, but it was exactly the opposite. I have heard many great stories about my grandpa, but I heard new ones from each person, several that I am putting in my personal "church lesson/talk/talk to my kids" arsenal. Anyway, all the grandkids stood and sang "I Know that my Redeemer Lives" and it was really sweet standing there with ALL my brothers and my sister singing. The whole funeral focus was about the legacy that my grandpa left, and I can't think of a better compliment. I can only hope that I can leave such a legacy. After the funeral and luncheon we had about an hour before a few people left for the airport. All 8 of us sat in lobby together and just talked and laughed. I would venture a guess that we will never get that chance again...no kids to chase, just the original 6 kids with our parents. There was a huge convention going on at the hotel, with people coming and going constantly, and several people stopped to watch and whisper about how we were all laughing together and so close. What a blessing.
But back to the alone part, My parents leave for China tomorrow morning at 4 am. Dave is taking them to the airport, so he is staying there tonight to get a little more sleep. (hence the alone physically) After coming back from a funeral, and just missing being away from him, and having to say goodbye to my parents, this is not the night I would choose to be alone. Boo hoo, I know, pity party for one... anyway. I am already missing my parents, especially my mom and thinking about how I will fill all the time that I would have spent with her, and hence, I am feeling alone Metaphorically.
I am gearing up for a busy and stressful week. We are "launching" all new music and choreography at the gym this week, and it's a huge deal. We have a theme for our release (the aqua theme is 80's and we have to dress up, have extra teachers, do fun prizes and drawings, and most importantly WOW the members with the new stuff!) I am teaching twice on Tuesday in full 80's costumes (different for both teaching times) and twice on Thursday, again in 80's gear. I am a little nervous again, just like when I first started. The costumes though, are HILARIOUS, and one I will FOR SURE recycle at Haloween. Anyway, I have missed blogging and have had such a monumental weekend, I feel like I didn't really do my emotions or what I really experienced justice, but it was a wonderful and thought-provoking time.

4 comments:

Emily Ferrell said...

Good luck with your launch this week. I know you will do awesome. I am so glad that you had such a great weekend. I know you will survive having mom and dad gone. This will be a great time for you to learn and grow in ways you have never imagined.

Sarah said...

Oh Ash, I'm so sad that you're feeling sad & alone (physically & metaphorically). Seriously whomps to have to say goodbye.
But your parents will be back. And in the meantime, you'll probably find so many new hobbies & friends that you won't have enough time for all the things you want to do.

Oh, and you know, you guys could always come visit us out east. Fall here is simply gorgeous. Autumn is my absolutely favorite season.
And Jaxon, Noah, & Katya would have a blast playing together.
Just a thought.

But I'm sure things will look up soon.
I mean, come on... you've got your 80's themed workouts, which sound hilariously fabulous. Wish I could go. How fun to dress up.

Oh, and I saw this funny trailer for a movie, "House Bunny". It seems like a good "Legally Blonde-esqe" laugh.
Take some girlfriends and go see it.

Well, I love you Ashley. I miss you, too. We'll have to chat really soon.

Momma Malia said...

glad to hear the funeral was good. i remember my grandma's being a happy one too, and it just makes it a good experience and chance to celebrate their wonderful life. good luck with your class.

Kimberly said...

You just don't realize how much love and admiration I have for you Ashley and I really want to stay in contact with you...more than just reading your blog. I think you are fabulous and you make me cry when you talk about your parents being gone.  I love them and I ache and they aren't even my parents. They don't even know how much I love them...I don't think. And appreciate them. I really need their e-mail.... Love you Ashley! ~ Kimberly Lester