"Go Way Dave!"

Jaxon has had two interesting developments in his life lately-
1. He refuses to call Dave "daddy" even if he gets in trouble, ignored, or goes to time out.
2. He asks for Dave all day but when he comes home, Jaxon clings to me and gets jealous of my time with Dave.

These two developments lead to last night's outburst. Jaxon did not want to play outside with Dave while Dave was grilling. He wanted to be inside with me and for me to hold him. He was having a bit of a tantrum, so I called Dave in for backup. Dave only got one leg in the door before Jaxon ran over, hit his leg, and tried to push him back outside, all while yelling, "GO WAY DAVE!"
Obviously this was quite comical and naughty at the same time. Jaxon got a timeout from me, and he started bawling. When I got him out of time out I told him he had to say, "Sorry Daddy" and if he called Daddy "Dave", then he would go back to timeout. So, through sobs Jaxon gives Dave a kiss and says, "sorry Dave!" I told Jax he had one more chance to say, "Sorry Daddy" and to try again. He again said, "Sorry Dave!" and then started crying, "NO timeout! No timeout!"
Any ideas? We were just having Dave ignore him if Jax called him Dave, but it's getting a little out of hand!

8 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Unless it really bothers you, I wouldn't make a big deal about it--he MAY be doing it to get a response...and it's a phase he'll get through. In the meantime, please keep posting about it!
Tyler says to not let Dave sleep in the house.

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

Thats funny, but sad too. I agree that it's probably just a phase and as long as you don't encourage it, it'll probably fade away. As for the jealousy thing, that is a little more distressing for you I'll bet, but thats probably a phase too. Good luck!

CJB said...

I think its hilarious! Everything is just a phase, isn't it? I think you should tell him it was so funny you blogged about it and to keep 'em coming. See why I'm not a parent?

Cicily said...

I'm not looking forward to the sassy talking stage. That is my job, I don't know how I will tolerate it from my kids. I have no advice, but good luck.

jckhadlocks said...

My hair was like that 2 years ago.. I went dark to grow out my hair. Now I'm going to grow it out AGAIN! But I think I'll keep the highlights.

Sarah said...

Ok Ash, here are two suggestions that might help (if having Jaxon call Dave "Dave" really concerns you).

1st: Refer to and call Dave "Dad" or "Daddy" whenever you're around Jaxon.

2nd: Have Dave only respond to Jaxon when/if he calls Dave "Dad/Daddy". You can occasionally prompt Jaxon by saying, "Who? I'm not sure who you mean. Oh, do you mean Daddy?"

This two-prong technique might gently guide Jaxon into calling Dave by his proper name. ;)

Good luck.

THE TAASE'S said...

Ash, I was going to offer the same advice as the previous blogger. If it really does bother you and/or Dave, YOU should start calling Dave Dad/Daddy. Also, have willing participants in your family and/or friends also do the same. I've seen this done a few times and it does work. OR you can go the Samoan route (which is what my bil did when my nephew refused to call him Daddy and kept calling him by his first name). Every time he called him by his first name he took a hanger and would wack the bottom of his foot. MY POOR NEPHEW! It was torture for all of us to witness, but he eventually started giving his daddy the respect he was demanding!! Good luck!

Tafi

Brandis said...

too funny! Last year our little neighbor girl would come over while her dad & Donny were doing martial arts outside and she would stand at the screen door and yell "WAYNE!!!" and it cracked me up because our kids have never called us by our first names. good luck with that. :)