One week at home

Well here we are! Friday around noon and all is quiet on the home front.  Jaxon is at school, Grandma finally feels like she can leave me alone with Cooper for a few hours and left to have lunch with friends (much needed with the work load she has been shouldering) and Grandpa is running errands.  Cooper is slumbering in his pack and play, and I, having had the most restful night's sleep since I've been home, returned some phone calls, and am sitting down to do a little more blogging!
 
  This first week has been wonderful, and an adjustment....a wonderful adjustment. Since I am hardly mobile, and still quite sleepy (As in, as hard as I try, I find myself falling asleep during conversations, while helping Jaxon with something etc...) Grandma has earned "Grandma of the Century Award." She is NOT a fan or getting up early, but every morning when I come up with Cooper around 7, she us up and dressed, packing Jaxon's lunch and pumping him full of breakfast.  She takes him to school, comes home and does her regular duties, on top of helping me and Cooper with whatever we need, and then picks J up at 3 to come home to take care of homework, piano practice, dinner etc! She is Amazing, Wonderful. Kind. Generous. Thoughtful. Giving. Selfless. I mean really, I don't know how on earth this would be any sort of working out without Grandma. She's the glue in this wonderful adjustment!
  Cooper sleeps all day and all night when he's not eating...unless he's constipated. Poor kid, I passed on some pretty gorgeous dark hair to him...but also a propensity towards being constipated. DRAT! Sunday night he was up most of the night, just grunting and whining.  Since he's in our room, I couldn't sleep, and found that if I held him, he didn't really sleep, but at least he didn't whine and grunt.  I held him most of the night, but fell asleep a couple times which freaked me out! On Monday when we saw his Pediatrician for the first time, I told her he hadn't pood since we left the hospital and she suggested we switch formula, to Gerber which has probiotics, and also that I give him a half ounce of warm water. Sure enough, by Monday night he had had three of the foulest, stinkiest STINKIEST stinky diapers you can imagine. Good thing that kid is cute, because with those probiotics, and being formula fed, even Jaxon steers clear of him when he's got a stinker or is gassy! No worries though, because Monday night he slept like a champ!
  I have battled my own constipation issues, which have probably been the most difficult and painful of any part of my recovery.  Like I said, I won't go into detail, but if you use your imagination....it's probably worse that you can imagine.... enough said...
   We have a pack and play and a little bouncer seat upstairs for Cooper to nap in, and a bassinet downstairs in our room.  Unfortunately for Cooper, the pack and play with the bassinet attachment on top puts him right at Jaxon's hand level.  Jaxon can't leave the kid alone. I love that he loves him, but so far we haven't been able to get the point across that nap time is NO TOUCH TIME!  I can see how that would be hard, because nap time constitutes about 98% of the day.... sorry Jaxon.  Jaxon just loves to kiss him, rub his head, run his tummy, and "make his cheeks smile" since Cooper doesn't smile on his own yet.  We have tried to not be to mad about any of this and just give reminders, because this has all been such a big change for Jaxon.  Also, it's a little difficult when there is another family member that CANNOT LEAVE COOPER ALONE!  ---- GRANDPA!!!! Cooper will be slumbering peacefully in the pack and play and grandpa will come in and make a beeline straight towards him.  He will lean over and give him loud kisses and rub his head and whisper loudly what a good boy he is, how handsome he is, how happy we are that he is here... until Cooper starts to wiggle or sigh a little, at which point Grandpa says, "HE'S AWAKE!!!" and picks him up.  Since Cooper is so sleepy most of the time right now, it doesn't really matter if he gets picked up, or even woken up, but when he gets on a real nap schedule in a a month or two, we will have to nap him in a closed room, and both Jaxon and Grandpa will be schooled in the wrath they will invoke if they interrupt the "sacred" nap time!
  Don't let that previous paragraph fool you... Cooper naps just as often in is mama's arms as he does anywhere else, and I am loving it.  I'm pretty sure you can't spoil a newborn, and since 1. I was in such a bad place with Jaxon at this point, I didn't hold him much, and if I did, I have no memory of it, and 2. I don't know if there will be anymore babies for us....so I am going to love this Coop-a-loop as much as I want!!
  The bishopric came over to meet with Dave and I just to get to know us and also to give us a calling (yes they know our time in the ward is limited, and yes, they gave us a calling we can do while we are here, and no, I can't say what it is until we are sustained Sunday) and when they found out I was not just 9 days past having a baby ,but 9 days past a c-section, the Bishop said, "PLEASE don't tell our wives we came to visit you guys. They would be mad enough if they knew we were here 9 days after the baby, but we would never hear the end of it if they knew you had had a c-section!"  They are 3 really funny guys. They obviously love the Lord, the Ward, and take their callings very seriously, but they don't take THEMSELVES too seriously, and I really like them!! We had a 45 minute visit where we mostly just laughed the whole time- what a breath of fresh air!
 

1 comment:

AnnaMarie said...

I love the part about Dad.