Monday September 3rd, 2012- COOPER DAY!!!

Our sweet Cooper is now 9 days old, and sitting at the computer is still very uncomfortable, but I need to start writing down my memories before I forget!
(disclaimer, every picture in this post, and every picture taken at the hospital for that matter, was taken on a cell phone! Who has time for a real camera when there is a Cooper to hold???)

The night before Cooper Came-

Just before we left for the hospital- about 5am Monday September 3rd-

 Monday morning at 5:30 am we arrived at Banner Gateway. I can honestly say I arrived with no trepidation.  I was so excited, and a little anxious, but no fear.  It was amazing.  They had to stick me three times to get my IV in, and I think I scared one nurse to death after she couldn't find a vain, but we got through it. 

We got our first sweet surprise when Dave's parents called at 6:30am to say that they just couldn't wait to meet our sweet boy, and that they had left in the wee hours of the morning to drive from Vegas to Mesa.  They were more than halfway, and would arrive a couple hours after Cooper was born.  I was so completely touched and thrilled. They would only be able to stay for a few hours and would have to leave in the early afternoon to get back for their work the next day in the temple.  I hope that I have mentioned several time before on this blog, but I absolutely married into the most wonderful family on the planet.  Everyone of my in laws is so kind, and loving, and fun, and thoughtful, and WONDERFUL!!!  I was so looking forward to them being able to share a little of this wonderful day with us!  After being prepped for a few hours I was wheeled into the OR where I was given the Spinal by the Nurse Anesthetist.  Wish it had been the actual anesthesiologist, who was holding me from the front and helping me stay calm.  She had to stick me a few times, and every time she "mis-stuck" felt like a lightening bolt to my spine! OUCH!
  Dave was not allowed to be in the room for my spinal, which made me sad, and as soon as it was done, I asked about 10 times when he would be allowed to come in.  They continued to reassure me that they would not "start without him" but I was completely numb, prepped, the "tent" to block mine and Dave's view was up, my arms were strapped down, and they were ready to rock by the time they let him back in! 
  I really really hate the sensation of a c-section.  There is no pain, but you can feel all the pressure and feeling of things going on, and the tugging, the hands inside my body, it's awful.  During Jaxon's c-section it was so awful I threw up several times, but this time I was able to keep it together.
  After a few minutes of tugging and cutting and pressure here and there, they had finally cut through to Cooper!!! He wasn't out yet, but Dr. Huish's first words were, "WOW! Look at that head of hair!" It made me so happy that my Cooper was about to come out of my belly and into the world, and hearing that made it so real, and made my smile from ear to ear...with tears in my eyes. Like Jaxon it took quite a lot to get him out, because he was pretty big, and incredibly high. 
  As soon as I felt the pressure release and he was out, he let out a squall to beat all!  All the doctors and nurses laughed and said they were glad to not be the ones in recovery with him the next few days. (Which is funny, because I don't think he has screamed like that again since!...I take it back...he has once...but more on that later!)  They immediately showed him to Dave and I and he was just as beautiful as I had dreamed he would be. The most gorgeous dark LONG hair covered his head, and he was perfectly plump, with the sweetest face!  They got him cleaned up, told us he was 8 pounds 5 ounces and 19.5 inches long.  A tad bit smaller than Jaxon, but also a week earlier.  His head circumference was 15 inches, only half inch smaller than Jaxon's, and still HUGE for baby standards! The sweet nurse brought him around and held him with his head on my chest and his body by my head for about 2-3 minutes while they started my stitch up. No one did anything like that with Jaxon's delivery, and it meant the world to me! Tears of pure joy streamed from my eyes as I had my first conversation with my new son. He was quiet as can be and just looked me straight in the eyes.  I lost my heart to him in that moment.

Cooper's first ever picture- in the OR recovery room-


  Dave left with Cooper and the nurse to get little C all cleaned up, and do whatever else they do, and about 20 minutes later I joined them.  Having not been through 29 hours of labor (as I had with Jaxon) I was much more lucid, and I have clear memories of the rest of the day. I could not get enough of my sweet boy, but couldn't hold him yet because I was still too numb.  He was quiet as a mouse and only did a little grunting and mewling.  He was absolutely perfect.  We soon left the OR recovery room and were wheeled to our home for the next 5 days. YES- 5!!! I love the hospital and being taken care of, and I stayed as long as they would let me!  Once in the recovery room Dave held Cooper near me so we could both stare at him, and after about an hour, Dave's parents, and my parents and Jaxon all came in at the same time.  Jaxon was amazed and smitten, and first thing Dave took Jaxon and Cooper in his arms, and he and Jaxon sang happy birthday to Cooper.  That is something that Dave did for Jaxon right when he was born, and when Jaxon heard that, he has been planning for months that he would help Dave be the first ever to sing happy birthday to Cooper.  It was a perfectly sweet moment.  Perfectly perfect.

Jaxon holds Cooper for the first time...do you think he's a little excited???


  Everyone took their turns holding Cooper, falling quickly in love, and losing their hearts, and it was so special.  The afternoon flew by with some funny happenings.  Turns out Jaxon is very protective and Territorial of HIS little brother, and either wanted to be holding him, or me or Dave holding him, but NOT his grandparents! Several times he tried to get me to take Cooper so that Grandma or Grandpa Rogers couldn't hold him (they were trying to get their fill before they had to leave) It was very sweet. Mom and Dad Ferrell took Jaxon home for a while, and we said goodbye to Mom and Dad Rogers.  It wasn't a very sad farewell, because it had been so wonderful to be able to see them, and for them to be able to see Cooper at all! did I mention HOW MUCH I LOVE THEM????!!!!
  The afternoon and evening passed with me loving and holding Cooper pretty much the whole time, and our first attempt at nursing, which was WILDLY SUCCESSFUL!!! He latched great on both sides, and everything in that department seemed to be going in the right direction.

Mom and Cooper- first picture together!

  Mom and Dad brought Jaxon back and again, and he just kept saying, with a little wonder in his voice, "Cooper is just so precious!"  It was so sweet.  Before he had to leave with Grandma and Grandpa he took Dave aside and told him that he and Dave should bring Cooper home right them.  Dave said, "Well mom has to stay in the hospital."
 Jaxon said, "I know, I'm just saying to bring Cooper home, mom can stay here!" 
Dave said, "But Jaxon, Mom has the milk!"
To which Jaxon did not skip a beat, marched over to me and said, "Mom, can you give Dad the recipe for formula??" 
Oh my word we got a good laugh out of that!  We explained that mom and Cooper would be staying in the hospital TOGETHER for the whole week, and Jaxon was anything but impressed.  We sent him home with G & G, and we are so lucky to have them.  Not a worry in the world to send my first son away with them.

Cooper doing what he does best- SNOOZE!!

  Later that night my two nurses came in and it was time for my first trip out of the bed. My spinal and worn off and I needed to be "cleaned up." I could feel that I was sitting in a puddle of my own blood (still had a catheter in though) They helped he to the toilet and to get out of all my clothes.  They got me changed into clean robes, and had helped me stand up to walk back to bed.  The next thing I knew I was sitting on the toilet with a smelling salts under my nose and 4 nurses calling my name.  Turns out I had passed out and they had rushed two more nurses in with smelling salts.  When I came to, they had a wheel chair for me to get back to bed, and were all giving me instructions like, "listen to my voice, don't look down, if we sound like we are in tunnel, let us know" etc.  All 4 nurses stood me up, and next thing I know, I was on the toilet with smelling salts again. BAH!  I was very disoriented, and just wished everyone would stop saying my name and putting that garbage under my nose.  They gave me the same pep talk as before, and finally got me into the wheel chair.  They wheeled me to bed and got me back in there as well.  Dave had watched the whole thing, and said it been pretty scary, especially the first time I was out, which "seemed like forever"  I guess it was pretty long because it was long enough for them to call for more nurses and smelling salts and get all 4 of them in the bathroom with me.  It kinda freaked me out as well, and Dave said I kept asking him about exactly what had happened several times.  I had only had a glass of juice, and a chocolate pudding all day, plus all the blood lost during my c-section, and then throughout the rest of the day... no wonder I passed out! 
  The one thing that I will remember from this day over anything else, is that I had no anxiety. No post-partum, and no fear of my sweet new baby.  This was completely different from Jaxon's birth, and I could not believe how much I adored this baby, and needed him with me. Throughout the week I did not send him to the nursery once (which is where Jaxon spent almost all his time) and Held him in my arms as absolutely much as  I could. I could tell my experience was going to be so different this time around, and have offered up more prayers of thanksgiving than I can count for this amazing new feeling. 

Quite possible my favorite picture of all time...or at least...in a long time-

  I have to add, that talking about post partum is not something a lot of women do, and it's too bad. But re-reading what I just wrote makes me understand it a little better.  I didn't/don't love Cooper anymore than I loved Jaxon, and it's important to me to make that clear. But because of the lack of crazy anxiety/post partum, I was able to completely enjoy him in a way I never knew was possible.   9 days later, and I am still basking in my completely unabashed adoration of him. 
  This is the beginning of a beautiful relationship. Absolutely perfect.

5 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

FINALLY! It is about time! I have been dying to hear this story, and you told it so perfectly, beautifully. It's like I was there. (I sure hate childbirth.) What a magical time for you and your family. I love the singing of Happy Birthday, how precious. I just have tears running down my face thinking of your new little son, and wish I could see you with him. More pictures! I love you all so, so much and could not be happier for you.

marie said...

What a beautiful beginning for your new sweet boy. Can't wait to see him. I Still have some germs so I'm waiting til I'm completely healthy! I'd love to see some pics!

Kel and Deke said...

Yay baby Cooper welcome to the world. Thank you for sharing such a special moment in your family, it was need to read. Especially for those of us that have been so excited for you to be having this little guy. Congratulations :) :) from the Burch family

Jason and Kate said...

Yeah, congrats! Loved the sweet story. I was the same way. I totally had the baby blues for a few weeks with Wyatt but felt completely normal with twins.... Well crazy normal but you know what I mean. Enjoy your boys.

Kelly said...

Ashley, He is beautiful! Seriously you and DAve have the most gorgeous boys! I loved this post and your feelings at being with Cooper. Fortunately I didn't deal with post pard. but with Parker I was so nervous with everything he did I couldn't quite enjoy him like I would have liked. Was he breathing? Why did his eyes roll back? etc..., with the girls I had 2 of them, so that was a whole new ball game but again I wasn't able to just relish with one of them for too often. With Corbett, I felt EXACTLY like you do with Cooper. It brings back so many memories and I am so happy for you Ashley. I cried when I read this out of joy for your family. What a blessing and an answer to prayers! I love you sweet friend!