First- China!

I'm Baaaaaaaack!
First, China-
It is always an adventure to travel to China. But this time was a little harder for me. Our trip got suddenly moved up almost two weeks, and I wasn't really prepared to go. Had lots to do back home, including prepping for my pump video. A week of no exercise, flipping my days and nights, and spending over 50 hours (in a 5.5 days) traveling either on a plane, in a taxi, or in an airport...that's not the best preparation!
When I got back I had a really REALLY hard time switching my days and nights back (that always happens to me) and as a result, ended up doing my video on 1.5 hours sleep! (It's okay, adrenaline took over!)
Anyway- we completed all of our business with no hiccups, and as a result got treated to a very very nice Chinese lunch by the owners of our tie factory.

ENTER: DUCK TONGUE
Tha'ts right, this little gem was one of the appetizers at our very fancy lunch. I was served by our business partner who stood grinning at me, clearly not going to look away until I devored it and said how delicious it was. I had no choice. Again- adrenaline took over. I took a very large, chewy, spongy, tongue-y bite from the "non-long thin neck connector" end, and sent it down the hatch with a big swig of coke. I can't remember how it tasted, becuase that spongy texture almost got me. As soon as I swallowed she moved onto serving the next dish, and I quickly hid the tongue under my plate. Our next appetizer was bamboo shoot soup with bamboo greens. It was VERY VERY crunchy, but tasted like chicken noodle soup. Since this is not my first business lunch in China, I knew that I would continue to be served copious amounts of food, so I better make good and clear what I liked (Translation: what I would be able to eat the most of without getting sick and offending our business partner) Boy did I make lots of happy faces and "delicious tummy rubs" about that soup. Half the meal I spent chomping away at that crunchy bamboo becuase she just kept filling my bowl, but I'm a smart women, because NO MORE TONGUE! :o)

Our trip really did go quite well, and with the little amount of time I had to shop, I stocked up and did all of Jaxon's school shopping! I Got him a lot darling knock-offs that will last him through the whole year, including two pairs of Nike's, Adidas, and some Converse. I won't even tell you how much they cost, becuase we would all spend out nights crying ourselves to sleep over the ridiculous prices of things here in the states!

Lastly, I have to leave you with this awesome picture. This was the weather report on Tuesday. Please note- there is only a 30% chance of Wednesday! I was cracking up everytime I walked through the lobby and saw that.






3 comments:

Jason and Kate said...

Have you learned any Chinese yet? I have some tapes that even just the few hours I spent learning it, it really helped me shop, eat, etc. while over there. Let me know if you want to borrow them.

fish said...

2 things:
1st: ew.
2nd: did it ever cross your mind that maybe there was going to be a wedding that day, but the bride was kinda flighty? come on, give those nice chinese people a break.
of course.

AnnaMarie said...

Funny! I'd also go for the bamboo soup. Oh yes.