Just a Monday...

Sometimes, nothing too interesting happens around here, and Jaxon just says normally funny and quirky things, and not extremely funny and quirky things.  Those (these) are the days that I think, no blog today.  But then I get out of the habit, so here are some "Just a Monday" thoughts from me...please feel free to stop reading, or just let your mind wander...

   Jaxon and I RARELY stay home much....and we ALMOST NEVER stay home ALL day.  I always thought it had to do with my nervous/anxiety prone personality which gives me the constant need to be BUSY, and interacting with other people. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this is a large part of it, but I discovered today, that there is more. 
  I had SO MUCH to do around the house. For example- I had 4 presents from Christmas still sitting on the living room floor that hadn't been taken our of the boxes and used/put away.  We are in the process of moving all of Jaxon's toys, videos, etc.etc. upstairs to the loft, and converting the downstairs into a bit more of an "adult space" (not "Adult" space...come on now!) so there is TONS to be moved, sorted, throw out etc.
  So, after a quick jaunt to the gym, pick something up at my sister's house (The most delicious homemade granola EVER!), a 45 minute music class, and a stop at the Ranch Market, we were home by about 11:15 and ready to work. 
  Here's the "more" to my dislike of staying at home. I had LIGIT stuff to do ALL DAY.  Thus, for most of the day I couldn't sit down and play go-fish, Shoots and ladders, Operation, Wii, Angry Birds, Legos, Blocks, Swords, trampoline etc.  Well Jaxon doesn't mind that much, as long as HE can be doing something "electronic" (Wii, computer games, Ipod touch, or watching a video) and seriously, I don't blame the kid. It's not so fun to play swords with yourself, build legos that you not yet able to follow the directions, jump on the trampoline alone, challenge yourself to a rousing game of Go-Fish...etc. etc. etc.
 WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO????  I don't want him glued to the electronics all day, but in truth it's just not fun to play alone.  This then plays on my saddness and guilt that he doesn't have a sibling, and I feel doubley bad. 
  I had him help me A LOT, but there are some things he can't do.  I stopped to play/read/build/jump A LOT, but I had to get some work done.  I made him "play" toys A LITTLE, but it's boring.

 What's a mom to do?

This is not old school Jaxon. This is new school Jaxon at our family pictures in November- Fake smile and all!

2 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

I think you got your on-the-go-can't-stay-still spirit from Dad. :)

Here's what I say. Don't let yourself feel 'guilty' that Jaxon doesn't have a little bro or sis. It is what it is, and he doesn't know the difference, really. This way is the only way he's known, and he feels loved and cherished. Also, even if he had a brother or sister, he or she wouldn't be able to play with him either, because they'd be younger! Katie & Jane, only 2 years apart, don't play together. I'm still necessary to play any games (most of which we can't do when Jane's awake). But independent play is a good skill to have. My advice is to practice it. Instead of saying, "ok, it's independent play time!", just do your thing, and he'll figure out what to do on his own. Say he's had his electronic toy time for the day, and he can do some more tomorrow, so he doesn't keep asking. This part takes practice and patience, but I think it's important to develop. Good luck!

Jason and Kate said...

I feel your pain. Wyatt is always wanting me to play with him every second. Wyatt gets his fill in the morning watching t.v. (30 minutes) while I finish getting ready. He watches another one while I'm making dinner. I try to limit it too because enough is enough. We have a routine...in the morning I do some chores/work and Wyatt either plays by himself or helps me. In the afternoon I am all his. No phones, etc. We just play. We run errands a lot too so that is also our time together. Wyatt still takes a nap so I have that time to get things done so maybe like AnnaMarie said, he will figure out he needs to play independently for awhile. Just make sure you have your time with him.

But, just remember, it's like teaching. Our work is never done so it's okay if we put it off until tomorrow. At least that is what I tell myself. :)

Also, invite Oakley over. I know when Wyatt has his cousin over I accomplish so much more.