Thank you, Thank you Everyone!

To all those who left excellent advice here on the blog- thank you! For those of you who called me because you had more to say, Thank you too!!

So, there will be some changes taking place over here.

First, Nap time is done. We will be having quiet time, during which J can play, read, or watch a movie. This will make it easier to have a SET bedtime, at which point he will be exhausted and be able to fall right asleep. As for those early, EARLY mornings... I'm just hoping a more set schedule will push them forward to at least 6am.
Another great piece of advice I got was to make sure J ate something substantial before bedtime (suggested was like an "Instant Breakfast Choc. Shake" for kids. This is a great idea, and we are going to try it. Jax is NOT a big eater...but if he thinks it will prolong bedtime, he just might go for it.
He will only be allowed to watchTV during quiet time, and breakfast, which is a very hectic time around our house, and other than that, NO MORE!
Next, my dear friend and sister in Law, and also my own dear sister, pointed out that since January, Jaxon's life has been pretty unpredictable. With all the doctors appointments for fertility, he has spent many hours at other people's houses, without me. Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful for the help I've received, and will continue to need, it's just...I think he knows he's getting pawned off an awful lot. Also, with me going to China and Dave and J going to Vegas, there was no semblance of a schedule, and lots of unpredictability. Plus- heck! It's just the two of us during the day, so if we hear of something fun going on (or spur of the moment plan something ourselves) we drop whatever we're doing and hit the road, or park, or mall, or pool...etc. etc. etc.

So, the hardest thing about it, will be on me I think. I am going to have to rein in random and spur-of-the-moment jaunts. We need to be spending some more quality time together, and everytime I get this anxious feeling about him, I know that is the answer.

Another thing I'm going to do is make a calendar/schedule for us to put together every night before we go to bed, or in the morning (haven't decided yet). It will say the month, day, and date (start on those things early) and then will have pictures that we will velcro up our schedule for the day --
ie-breakfast, preschool, lunch, quiet time, "fun activity", outside time, help time, dinner time, and bed time. Then he will have some input (I am going to have several fun activities that he can choose from, for us to do one together each day) and also visually be able to see what's going on in a day.
I shouldn't be surprised. Not knowing what's going on, and not having a plan gives me serious anxiety. (Now Dave and his fam, TOTALLY OPPOSITE) but since J spends the majority of his time with me, it makes sense that he would be more like me on this one. So, I know our daily plan, but to him it must seem very disjointed.
As far as his temper tantrums are concerned, this is another good reason to be at home for a while. When we are somewhere fun (Fun for him and me! With friends...) it's hard to really put my foot down and LEAVE if he throws a fit, even though I know I should. But with spending more time at home, if he throws a fit I calmly take him to his room and tell him to call for me when he is finished. At that point I go in, and he can explain why he was so upset, and we can talk about the appropriate reaction to said incident. It's working okay so far...mostly because it gives me some time to get my whits about me before I have to deal with it as well.
Anyway, I would and will gladly accept any more help or input, and will give status updates....fingers crossed~!

6 comments:

The Ferrells said...

I think your plan sounds great and I really think Jaxon will respond well to it. You are right in the fact that it will probably be hardest on you because you are such a social butterfly and love to do fun things but at least it will prepare you for the near future (fingers crossed) when you have another little one around the house who needs a lot of naps which will require you to be home a lot more. Remember, this is just a phase and he will grow out of it. He just needs his mommy to help him.
You are a great mom and you will get through this.
Love you-
Emily

Valerie: said...

good luck..all you can do is try it. I hope you see improvements. Hopefully since he is not napping anymore, it will make him sleep in longer in the morning to make up for the sleep he is not getting in the day time.

Flaherty Fam said...

Wow, that's a great plan and some good advice if I need it down the road. Good luck with your fun new calendar. I hope your hard work and planning pays off.

Kimm said...

I have a magnetic calendar I was looking to get rid of, I think you might like it. Activities, days, months etc. It was great for my kids. I am taking the week off from the gym, but would be happy to get it to you this week.

Cindy Spratling said...

Go for it girl! Sounds like an awesome plan. Good luck!

Boyce said...

I LOVED reading about your situation and then your solutions. As I read the problem from a teacher/classroom management perspective I thought of all the same things you wrote in your solution. And you're right...the hardest part is on the adults because the plan is only effective if its followed through. AND you probably know this but with any new routine...things MAY get worse before they get better...maybe not...every kid is different but be prepared just in case to be strong and stay consistent!

You go super mom! Hopefully we'll have to come to you for advice sometime VERY soon!