2009 IN REVIEW

(Thanks for the great idea Sarah!)

What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
We lost a job and got a new one, Traveled to Asia twice, Camped (I know!!! First time camping in a real tent) for A WEEK at Yellowstone, WITHOUT DAVE, (It was slightly disasterous- but a first none-the-less),


Did you keep your New Years' resolutions?
Mostly- my only real resolution going into 2009 was not to lose faith that Heavenly Father had a plan for us. Not to get bitter about life's disappointments and focus on all the good, great, and wonderful in our lives. Not gonna lie, I got down more than few times, but I never lost my faith, I still have great faith that there is a wonderful plan for me and my family.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes- My SILs and other good friends.

Did anyone close to you die?
I wouldn't say I was particularly close to them, but two wonderful men in our ward died, and it made me grateful for the Eternal Nature of our lives and relationships.

What countries did you visit?
China twice. And I had stop overs in Korea and Canada, does that count as a visit???

What states did you visit?
California, Nevada, Idaho, and Wyoming, Florida

What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
In a word- BABY.

What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 1st. Dave started his new job, and it has been a blessing in every way!

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Gosh, I can't think of any. I kept holding on...does that count? Wait- I helped start a new business which I think is going to be booming by the end of 2010- The Matching Tie Guy.


What was your biggest failure?
I wasted too much time worrying about things outside my control, and things that don't actually matter in my life and the lives of my guys.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing serious that I can think of.

What was the best thing you bought?
I love our bookshelf/toy holder from Ikea. I also love my iTouch.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A couple times I let my own insecurities get me depressed as I interpreted others behavior and actions towards me, but mostly I'm appalled at myself that I'm 31 and still care...so working I'm on that one this year!
Also I am both appalled and depressed at the emotional eating I did this year that brought about a 23 pound weight gain. yuck.

Whose behavior impressed you?
So many people supported Dave and I in a hundred different ways as we were out of work. First and foremost my parents. I'm also grateful for the women who have had infertility issues and have been willing to openly talk about their story with me.

Where did most of your money go?
Staying afloat the first half of the year.

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Starting the fertility journey...it was actually the first week of 2010...but I made the phone call in 2009, so it counts!

What song will always remind you of 2009?
There are two, and both will remind me of this year because of Jaxon. The first is "SheWolf" by Shakira, for some reason Jaxon LOVES that song, and has me play it repeatedly on the computer. The second is a terrible song (but so darn catchy) "I Kissed A Girl" --because I had to learn a workout to it for my gym class, and Jaxon ended up being slightly confused and told Dave that I KISS girls at the gym. Of course, "I gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas too.

Compared to this time last year, are you: much happier, richer, nicer?
Happier- yes, we have a secure job. Richer- that is certainly a relative term because we are in no ways "rich" but we are definately better off than last year. Nicer, that's a good question. I was a lot more sympathetic last year, because my struggles made me more aware of others struggles. That is one of my big goals this year, to be aware of others and their needs.


What do you wish you'd done more of?
Played with Jaxon, "shrugged it off", and forgave. Oh yeah, and more making out would have been nice! :o)

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worried. Worked.

How did you spend Christmas?
So content with my life and family. It was a wonderful December.

What was your favorite TV program?
American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, and Lost. And those are the only shows I ever watch on TV-ever.

What was the best book you read in 2009?
Impossible to answer. I read anything and everything I can get my hands on, and I love it all. If I don't like it, I will stop reading it ASAP, I only finish books I love, and I love a lot of books!

What did you want and get?
A job, peace of mind, love, support.

What were your favorite films of this year?
I didn't really see many movies... I mean, hardly any. So I will go with New Moon, although I wouldn't give it a ten by any means.


What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Although I have already celebrated my 2010 birthday (which was a bit of a bust since I worked at a bridal fair all day) my 2009 birthday (when I turned 30) was the BEST EVER! My sister threw me a surprise birthday party and totally pulled it off. Many dear friends were there, and since the timing was right on the heels of the job loss, it meant so much to be surrounded by love. I will never forget that day Amber and Dave- never.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Don't love this question- my year was hard but such a good growth year. I would have loved to have had a baby, but I guess I wouldn't change it, because it all happened for a reason.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
I don't have much personal fashion...so my "concept" was to see what I liked on others and mostly copy it. I decided I wouldn't worry about what others thought though, and thus have had a lot of fun accessorizing with stuff I thought before that "I could never pull off." guess what I learned? If you wear it with a smile, you can pull it off!

What kept you sane?
A close relationship with my family. Especially my sister, SIL's, and mom. Of course Dave is also a rock, and never waivers in his strength, love and patience. The gospel, and smiling faces at church.

What drove you insane?
Being to busy to do the really important things, like play with Jaxon and just relax. Also, not having really close friends.

What political issue stirred you the most?
Health-care reform has me pretty concerned.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009
If you have your family, and people around you who truly care, that is where the blessings are.

What are you most excited for in 2010?
I hate to jinx myself...but being pregnant is what I most look forward to in 2010...since a 2010 delivery is not looking very pheasible. Anyone who actually knew me when I was pregnant with Jaxon surprised to hear me say I look forward to being pregnant? Time changes your perspective on a lot of things...
Also I am looking forward to going a real vacation with Just Dave. Nothing fancy, but something!

What are you least excited for in 2010?
Being pregnant. ha. Isn't that funny?

7 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

http://ferrellannamarietylerkatie.blogspot.com/2009/08/exciting-not-in-good-way.html

Wish we lived closer and could be better day-to-day, hang out at each others' houses friends. Love you, Ashley.

Sarah said...

Oh, I love your answers.
Some of those questions are rather hard to answer, aren't they?
But I liked taking the time to reflect on my past year.
Kinda fun.
I love you, Ash.

Emily Ferrell said...

I guess this long post made up for the lack of posting the past couple of months! I'm glad that you and Dave made it through last years trials and came out on top. Here's to hoping that your new trial will end up just as great with a healthy baby (or babies)!

Roger and Stephnie said...

That is a good idea! I liked reading all your answers-- it made me think about my 2009 year. You did miss one thing though, although maybe it's because you didn't get to see her much, but Grandma Ferrell passed away in 2009 also.

Marie said...

Fun to read about your year. Sounds like it was one filled with ups and downs, but overall a good one!

venessa said...

Love, thanks for keepin it real and all in perspective! Hope you have a great year! We so need to catch up, VWco

Michelle said...

That's a cool way to recap/remember what you did and went through for the year. I can't remember what I did yesturday :)