I LOVE being a parent

You know, you always love your child. But there times when parenthood is tough, and then there are times like this week, where I am absolutely loving it. This is what it's all about! Seeing life through Jaxon's eyes...it's reminding me of our trip to Disneyland last December.

On thursday we went to campus. On the way up, Jaxon and I were singing the BYU fight song, which he knows, but needed a little refreshing. I also pointed out the "Y" on the mountain and told him that is stands for "B-Y-U COUGARS!!!" So, as we were walking aruond the bookstore he was seeing the "Y" everywhere, so he kept shouting, "B-Y-U- COUGARS" To which everyone in earshot would cheer and clap. That was all the incentive Jaxon needed to keep going, so all throughout campus we were surrounded my cheering and clapping. SO FUN!
***********************************************************************************
My comentary on BYU. I went there, and I love it. I know it's not for everyone, I totally get it, but when you go on campus, there is definately an upbeat, positive feeling. Everyone smiles, chats, is polite, and is modestly dressed. You don't see anyone that looks too scary.
***********************************************************************************


We went to 7-peaks on Friday, and Jaxon could have stayed ALL DAY. He loved the kids area and the lazy river, but once we took him down the big slides on our laps, we couldn't talk him into anything else. We went OVER AND OVER AND OVER! He only wanted to go down on Dave's lap, which was fine with me because 1. Dave's stronger and a better swimmer than me, and 2. Jaxon always picks me to do things with him, and it made Dave feel really good to be the go-to guy. Jax especially loved the innertube rides and we ended up staying until almost 8pm!!
**************************************************************************************
Commentary on 7-Peaks...I already did a post on this, but I will just say, being anywhere pool/water/heat related with a son and husband, it's really nice not to be surrounded by bare skin and bikinis. I really appreciated it, and didn't see one suit/person that I was absolutely shocked about, and would have been sad for Dave and Jax to have to see. When I was young and leaders would say to the girls, "Dress modestly to help the boys out" That always made me a little mad thinking, "Let the boys take a little responsibilty and help themselves!" Now I get it, they are responsible for their thoughts, but others (girls) can take responsibility for what the boys have to see. Getting off my soapbox now...
****************************************************************************************
Saturday morning I already blogged about the crazy paraders- my commentary on that is just that sometimes Mormons are wacky, but usually there is a good reason hidden under there somewhere!
Saturday afternoon we met up with one of Dave's sisters, her hubby and her kids. We hadn't seen then in a long time, and it was awesome! They are such a fun laid back family, and their little boy (who is just 6 months younger than Jaxon) and Jax became BFF's and could have played together until eternity with no thought to the rest of us! We went to the provo Malt Shop and had yummy shakes and burgers. Can't wait to see them again at the big camping trip in a month! (that is NOT to say in ANY WAY that I am looking forward to camping...)
Saturday night we put Jax down at 7 and woke him up at 9:45 for the big show. My dad had nailed down a tarp in prime position on the lawn right across from the stadium, and Jaxon had just as much fun watching all the kids around us lighting off fireworks as watching the big show. Fire works are fun!! The Stadium Of Fire fireworks DID NOT disappoint, they were awesome! (Also for any fans out there...I got to hear the Jonas Brothers do a few of their closing songs!)
Now it's Sunday and Dave has to head home....boooo. Jaxon and I will be joining him tomorrow.....boooo. This is definately the place to be on the 4th of July!

4 comments:

Emily Ferrell said...

I'm so glad you had such a fun time. Your family definitely deserved a great family vacation after all you have been through for the past 7 months. We missed you guys here but I think it would be fun to experience the 4th of July in Utah along with your family. Maybe we could work it out sometime.

AnnaMarie said...

Just got back home and got caught up on your blog. I'm glad you're having such a fun time in Utah. So are you, like, going to move there? :) I agree about the modest swimsuits, and love BYU. Yay for Utah! I know I was crazy ready to get out of there and appreciate so much about being in a place where there aren't only members of the church, but really, there are a lot of great things about living in Utah, too.

Brandis said...

The section about modest swimming suits at 7 Peaks is written like a true YW leader. Congratulations, you're a grown-up. :) (and for the record, I TOTALLY agree with you on what you said. :)

Kelly said...

Ashley: Thank you so, so much for the kind letter you wrote for my Birthday book. I have read it and re read it and have been so touched! You are such a dear friend and I truly feel undeserving of the wonderful things you said! All the nice things you said about me could be said doubly about you! You are AMAZING!

I love you Ashley!