Calling All Camper-outdoorsy types- HELP!

We...and by "we" I mean only Jaxon and I, because Dave has to work, are less than two weeks away from our Roger's Family Reunion- CAMPING IN YELLOWSTONE! While I am excited to see Dave's family whom I adore, I am not looking forward to camping.

Please don't judge me.

It's just not my thing...in fact, the only time I've ever done it was one night with the Youth on the Stake Trek, and I can promise you that it was the worse night of my life. (Though it's true one could argue...I don't get out much...) Freezing, icey, SO SO Cold, and windy..sleeping on a rocky ridge, with only a sleeping bag, no other blankets, air mattress... (come on, we were pioneers!) So, that is the experience I have to pull from. AND!!! Yellowstone is supposed to be a whopping 38 degrees at night...BRRRRRR!!!

Here is where YOU Come in! First, I need good solid camping tips. The first really good one I heard was "Change your underwear at night instead of the morning...sleep clean!" This is the real deal stuff people, THIS IS WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!!!

Second, if you have anything that would make camping in the wilderness, without my husband, in a tent, with a 3 year old, for a week, any easier that you would let me borrow, I will be your slave forever! (or at least be so grateful and pray that you get A LOT of blessings!)

2 Specific things I'm looking for are #1. A couple beanies to fit a 3 year old. (I would REALLY Love one with ear flaps and a tie under the chin for him to sleep in...90% of your body heat is lost through the head you know!) and #2. Some already grungy camping sweatshirts/jackets for Jax to wear in the evenings.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

13 comments:

Trish said...

Okay, so I'm not a super outdoorsy type but I'll see what I can do for you. My hubby says to bring fun stuff to do together- games, cards, etc. The only thing I can think of is that even if you don't totally enjoy ever minute of it, you at least made some memories together. So, I don't know- just try to think positive.

Jason and Kate said...

How long are you going for? I agree with the cards. Those are always fun. I'm not much a camper either but here are a few musts. Bring camping chairs...unless you like finding a good log to sit on. Also, hand sanitizer, wipes and lots of smore stuff. :)

Flaherty Fam said...

Oh, am I feeling for you. I am also a camping hater and I just happened to be married to a man that would rather be camping than anywhere else...please save me! I tell him that Girl's Camp is enough camping for me to last the year. Somehow he doesn't buy it, but we have lots of camping gear, so if you need something let me know. Sorry I am not much help on the tips part because well, if I do camp, Brett does the packing...one really great benefit!

AnnaMarie said...

Ooh, camping is fun if you have good food & snacks. (But be careful of bears in Yellowstone.) S'mores. With Jaxon, I'd just say, let him get dirty, let him be a boy, and he'll have enough fun for the both of you and you'll be glad you went. Do they have showers? I really don't like camping in places that don't have a place to clean up. I'll keep thinking about it and call you soon.

Brit said...

Have fun! I love camping! But let me just tell ya camping with kids is 10 times harder and even worse without your husband. At least Jaxon is older than Belle and Ana. Take wet wipes to clean your feet at night.

Sarah said...

Hey Ash.
I love the idea of some winter-type beanies for the kiddos to wear while sleeping.
I think I might have some extra, so I'll add them to my list of things to pack for Yellowstone.
I love you and can't wait to see you.
And I just hope that this camping thing is better than we expect (not that that would be hard).

Marie said...

I have a couple beanies, but none with ear flaps or ties. I also have a couple jackets his size, one warm, and one for rain - they can be worn together if needed. Like AnnaMarie said - let him get dirty. After lots and lots of camping I've finally given in to this one and it makes it so much easier. I only wash the boys hands and faces before meals - other than that they are FILTHY - but they don't care, only you do, and it wont' kill them. A kick ball of some sort is a good thing, bubbles are a great outdoor toy, also a bucket and shovel. When the kids are bugging me for something to do I send them on a hunt for something odd (it will take longer for them to find it) like a certain color rock (blue and red are nearly impossible ;-) but will keep them busy)or a stick shaped like a letter of the alphabet (T, K, Y & L are easy - O, not so easy).

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous of you - I love camping and I love Yellowstone even more! Make sure to put on clean socks right before you go to bed - makes a big difference in warmth! If you're worried about being cold and have the room in your sleeping bag, I would sleep with Jaxon - body heat works wonders! I agree with the need for good food. The food is the best part about camping! To make your tent more enjoyable, always take your shoes off before getting in and make sure it's zipped up at all times to keep the bugs out! Take a lantern to use in the tent so you aren't always needing to hold a flashlight. I wish you were here - you could borrow my stuff. Have fun - I can't wait to see pictures!!

Anonymous said...

That's what I'm talking about people, you are coming through big time!!!

Elder Darian Lupton said...

hey! i was looking at some of your old posts and i saw our old Young Women president! her first name is Lindsay but i cant remember her last name! does she have a blog??

Elder Darian Lupton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandis said...

As someone who grew up camping in Idaho (it was 24 degrees in July once where we were camping) I can sympathize. :) Go minimal on the clothing at night. I'm not saying sleep naked, just don't wear too much or you'll get sweaty which will make you cold. It also helps to have a blanket under your sleeping bag, even if you're on a cot or something. Also, if you don't have a lantern like someone else suggested, you could tie a couple flashlights to the top of the tent. And take lots of hot chocolate mix. Nothing says camping like outhouses & hot chocolate. (which reminds me, pack an extra roll of TP just in case) Have fun!! :)

The Hoopers said...

How funny, I LOVE camping and Ryan only puts up with it. lol I love having a few packs of hand warmers (I have some if you need them). You can put them in yours or Jaxon's coat pockets or even better, in your socks so your feet don't freeze at night. Good luck and have fun!