Darn it.

Is there any downside to having a good sleeper?

YES!

They throw up all over themselves at night, and don't wake up enough to let you know.

Poor Jaxon, he has the croup, and now, a fever and throwing up. We went in about 9:30 to check that he was sleeping soundly since he had been hacking so hard, and found him covered in throwup. Hair, neck, face, pajamas, pillow, and the worst part- Bumble Bear. There was no way to clean him or his bed with him still in it, so we woke him up and hurried and put him in the tub. He sobbed the whole time dave scrubbed him down and I remade the bed. Bumble for tonight was unsalvagable, and I was not ready to break the news yet.
We got him out of the tub, still sobbing, and I rocked him while Dave got him some Medicine for his fever. He hates medicine and cried ever harder, saying that he would throw up again if he took it. Anyway, after much back and forth, that medicine was not going down. Plan B - we still have a Fever-All suppository in the fridge from the last time he was sick and kept throwing up his medicine. So, before we got it I asked him if he wanted to drink the yucky medicine and eat a few pretzels afterward, or have a little medicine pill in his bottom. (sorry for the graphics...) well, he was about hysterical at the thought and drank his medicine like a champ. After that it was time to break the news about Bumble Bear...and let's just say it didn't go over well. It was about the saddest thing I've ever seen to watch his face crumple to hear he couldn't be comforted by his best buddy in this time of need. When I laid him in bed I handed him Pablo-his other, second favorite nighttime friend (who he also goes to bed holding), and then "Mizzy bear" (yes, they ALL have names, and he also gave them all gender assignments, but that's another post...) to his other hand to take bumble's place, and he fell apart one more time.
Luckily, he is a good sleeper, and SO TIRED! He fell right back asleep, but is still coughing like crazy in there. Any suggestions???

6 comments:

Jeri Hazelton said...

A humidifier usually works like a charm! Good luck!

The Ferrells said...

That's my suggestion, too. Keep the humidifier in any room where he is all day--moving it is a pain, I know, but do it and it will really help.

Marie said...

Send him to boarding school and let them deal with it :-). I'm about ready to send my boys away. They are driving me crazy! Sorry Jax is doing so crappy.

Robin said...

Henry has the same thing! Saturday night was the worst for us. I had a humidifier and a vaporizer going on in his room. Then I had vix vapo rub on his chest and at the suggestion of my SIL also rubbed it on the soles of his feet(supposedly the feet absorb more). It seemed to help some, but we still had to rock him a few times when the coughing fits were bad enough.

Sarah said...

Oh, so sad for all of you.
Katya's slept through throwing up on herself before, too.
It was quite the ordeal cleaning it all up.

Let's see... have you checked www.webmd.com for their suggestions for treatments for croup?
They might have some good ideas, and it's a reputable site.

I'm so sorry that you've got a really sick kiddo on your hands. I hope he gets better really soon and that you get tons of rest.

Love you.

The Gentry's said...

I hope he gets feeling better for all your sakes!! Poor Bumble Bear-Dylon has an Elephant Eddie that I worry of something tragic like that happening to. Hopefully Jaxson will recover from that part!