Me? Domestic??



It would not be untrue to say that I have somewhat lacked in the "house-wife" department. In fact, it could be said in truth that I often leave said "house" for long periods of time, so that I don't even have to think about "house-wife-ish" type things. Well, now that my parents are gone, and it is still about a million degrees outside, coupled with the astronomical price of gas, I just have no where to go! (Jaxon said about 20 times yesterday "Mom, we at our house?" yes "Why mommy?" becuase we live here Jaxon. "We live here?") Thus I am turning against my anti-inner-house-wife self, and giving it the old college try!

In my defense, I have been known to grind a little wheat in my day (thanks M & R Rogers for the grinder) and even made "homemade" bread in my breadmaker (My feelings are, if it is was made at home, it's homemade! The actual details are unimportant!) But my breadmaker bit the dust after 5 years of trusty service, and I didn't like any new ones I tried. Thus, store bought bread it was. Well, A couple weeks ago I tried my SIL's homemade bread and HOLY MOSES! IT IS GOOD! It is soft AND delicious! She said it was SUPER EASY to make, and while I was willing to take a shot, anything made with yeast makes me a little ( A LOT) nervous. It's just so darn finicky! Well, this morning she helped me with every step of the process and sent me home with a giant bowl of dough, rising higher by the minute. At home I Threw it, pounded it, shaped it, and cooked it ALL BY MYSELF!! (Baby steps here people...) and WAH-LAH!! my house smells fantastic, and I have 6 delicious loaves of bread just waiting for domestic consumption! (they aren't quite as pretty as hers, but this was my first attempt!) House wives, EAT YOUR HEART OUT! (what exactly does that mean anyways?) What's next, scrubbing the grout with a toothbrush? Uh...no. Let's not get ahead of ourselves! But, I think Friday morning is going to be bread day at our house, so anyone wanting to learn to make some delicious and fairly easy bread, anyone wanting to conquer their fear of yeast, or anyone who is just dying to hang out, give me a call before next Friday! (Oh yeah, you do need to have a Bosch!)

9 comments:

Momma Malia said...

so jealous. i'm actually wanting my inner house wife to come out of hiding. my mixer is in storage and i've been wanting to use it to make some homemade bread. sooner than later i hope! great job.

The Ferrells said...

Way to go sis! I knew when "you" wanted to learn then the process would be easy--Tell baby J he still has a second home!! It's just on vacation for 11 months. Life is great here. Miss you all--Mother

. said...

I want the recipe...It looks delish!

Courtney said...

YUMMY! I'm all for homemade bread... my mom has been trying to teach me for years!! (why learn when she makes it for me?) I guess I better learn sooner or later!!

The Hoopers said...

Wow Ashley, I'm so impressed. I too have a yeast phobia. My bread maker bread doesn't even turn out right!

ThePalmers said...

Good job, Sis. I need to start... but I need a wheat grinder first...

Flaherty Fam said...

Okay, so I am so with you on learning to be house-wifish. As you know, I have worked full-time for as long as I can remember, but now that I have 2 little ones at home I need to learn some new talents. In fact, I absolutely love the homemade bread we eat every Sunday for sacrament that Sis. Davis makes, so Anslea said I should learn to make bread for my Evening of Excellence project...great idea. Okay, so heres my dilemma. A couple years ago I was given a Viking, which I think is just like the bosch, but how would I know since I've never used either. It sits on my counter all pretty like, but has never been touched. Maybe I can find the manual or something and join you one Friday. By the way, your bread turned out looking delicious. Wow, this is a long post, but I sure love bread.

Sarah said...

Wow, sounds yummy. I so want the recipe. Do you really need a Bosch?
I'm so proud of you Ashley! You did great. They look absolutely delicious. And seriously fabulous for a 1st attempt.
You rock.
Esp. if you forward me the recipe.
Thanks.

Colburns said...

Great job ASH!!! I want to make some bread on friday! Teach me the way!