Lost and Found

This morning Dave and I had the scare of a lifetime...even topping the time we lost the envelope with ALL the cash, checks, and gift cards we got for our wedding. (Don't worry, we found that too) Anyway, we were outside this morning, Dave was doing yardwork and I was cleaning out the car. JAxon was flitting between the two of us, and also playing with our neighbors grandson. Well, our neighbors left for the lake, and about a minute later, Dave came into the garage. He asked where Jaxon was, and I said I had thought that he was with Dave, so at that moment, our hearts dropped, and the search began. Dave started running up and down the street, and I ran inside and checked every possible nook and cranny, toilets, closets, dishwasher, EVERYWHERE. I had no luck and ran outside in tears, and near hysterics, and could not find Dave. That meant he had expanded his search in the neighborhood and still had not found Jaxon. I said a very short and urgent prayer and went back inside to look again. While I was looking I kept thinking about our neighbors leaving...but I knew Jaxon wasn't run over by their truck or boat, we would have seen it. And I knew he couldn't have stowed away in the boat or truck. About 5 minutes had passed by this time, and 5 minutes is like an eternity when you have lost a child. I went outside and had a thought...they have a ton of toys in their garage for their grandson...I knocked on the garage door and yelled Jaxon name, and I heard a happy little voice call back to me! I was thrilled to have found Jaxon, but he was STUCK in our neighbors garage. We tried all their doors and windows (very neighborly, I know!) and then I remembered I had his business card with a cell phone number. We got ahold of Tex, who said a few very colorful words (I think out of concern and not anger...he really is quite nice) right before they turned onto the winding lake roads. About 15 minutes later, they were back to open the garage, and Jaxon had been happily playing in a toy airplane in the dark the whole time. Totally unphased, not scared in the least. All's well that ends well, but I hope I never live to feel that feeling again.

13 comments:

ThePalmers said...

Although that must have probably been the scariest thing to EVER happen in your entire life, now that he is found, I do have to say that is VERY humerous. I just told Brandt the story (first telling him that everyone was ok) and we were laughing pretty hard. What a cute little guy you have! (And I am so glad he is OK)

Kimberly said...

Ashley, I remember a few years ago we were in San Diego. I was sitting in a beach chair reading a book while Brad had all five kids in the ocean. A while later they all came in...without one, Kolby, he was 5 years old. Apparently Kolby wanted to go back on the beach and so Brad pointed the direction of where I was sitting. Note: The current makes you shift in the water, so just pointing a way for a FIVE year old to find his way back DOESN'T WORK!. Well, obviously Kolby didn't make it back to me. I was a mess - major mom panic, all the while my, *&^#$%@! husband was just standing there blaming Kolby for what happened while I was freaking out trying to find him! Can you believe that. Yes Brad was *&^%$#@&^!. I was running around calling out Kolby's name. I ran to the lifeguard tower and the poor guy was trying his best to calm me down so he could help me. Since Kolby did have a float ring the life guard was pretty certain Kolby didn't drown. I on the other hand wasn't as sure. A few minutes later, and as you know about the five minutes going by looking for Jaxon was, it felt like eternity. The lifeguard informed me that another lifeguard down at the next tower about 1/2 mile away had Kolby. Oh my...was I ever relieved! I took Braxley, who was three, because I was so mad at Brad for doing what he did and then really not even looking for Kolby like I THOUGHT HE SHOULD,so there was no way I was leaving my youngest there. So I carried Braxley and ran the whole 1/2 mile to the lifeguard tower. Now you know what I look like - imagine ME running in the sand with a toddler. It's hard enough to just walk in the sand let alone run, and my calves were burning and I thought I would die. As soon as I reached the tower and saw Kolby, I grabbed him and fell to the ground and just hugged him tightly. I am emotional just thinking of it again. It's got to be one of the most scariest things to go through, so I know where you are coming from. A very nice lady told me that she heard a little boy calling for his mommy. Apparently when he got out of the ocean and didn't see me, he was just walking around calling my name. He walked down the beach for nearly 1/2 mile calling my name. Thank goodness and good mom found him and not some nightmare. Our kids are so precious. To this day, I can't read on the beach. I have to keep an eye on the kids the whole time. Brad even walks the kids up the beach and makes sure that we see each other. Kolby is almost 10 years old now, but it feels like this experience just happened a short time ago...it never leaves your memory.

I'm happy that Jaxon was having fun and wasn't traumatized over this. Kids are amazing.

Love you all!
Kimberly

Momma Malia said...

holy crap, i was scared just reading the recap. i couldn't imagine. thank goodness he was okay. but of course he's happily enjoying his airplane joy ride in the dark!!
i LOVE the pictures from lessons. we will definitely have another camera day, when the water is warmer of course!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh! 5 minutes is such a long time to not know where your child is. 30 seconds is an eternity! Oh, I'm so glad that you found Jaxon and that he was completely oblivious to the terror. Thank goodness prayers are answered.

ThePalmers said...

Sounds like a prayer was answered and one of the Lord's tender mercies was experienced if you ask me.

Brandt

Cicily said...

I would freak out. I'm so glad you had their number and didn't have to call the fire department. Of course he was happy as ever.

Brandis said...

Oh, that's awful! It's the worst feeling being scared that something's happened to your child. Thank goodness nothing bad happened and someday when it's not quite so recent & fresh in your minds I'm sure this will be one of the favorite Jaxon's childhood adventure stories. :) I mean, sheesh, getting locked in the neighbor's garage?!? :)

michelle said...

My heart started pounding just reading this. So glad he's okay... wow.

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

Wow, what a story!! It's a good thing you had that thought to check their garage! That really could have turned into a nightmare! You'll have to get one of those stakes that you put in the yard that has a length of cable attached for Jaxon. We had one for our Beagle in NC. In fact, if you get him a harness, you can have it! ;) Thank goodness for those little promptings eh?

Colburns said...

that so scary and funny at the same time! He is so full of adventure I love it! I hope your class is going awesome I love teaching and I know you will too!

Nedra Tietjen said...

Oh MY Gosh! My heart was pounding as I was reading that story.
What a blessing you were able to get your neighbors before they lost cell service out by the lake. WOW!!

Elise said...

I'm so glad this story has a happy ending!! I can't imagine the panic, even though it's funny now. Whew!

Lindsay Jones said...

Thank goodness for prayers, how else would you have thought to look there, well maybe you would on your own, but I wouln't without some divine intervention. I am so glad you found him, that feeling of sheer terror and panic is the worst!