The Power of "I'm Sorry", and meaning it!

These past few weeks I have had the opportunity to say "I'm sorry" several times! And I have learned a great lesson. (excuse me for waxing philosophical and or sentimental.) It's just like with repentance, you have to really mean it, and not beat around the bush, to really feel peace. I don't mean to say I was so weighted down by sorrow for the things for which I needed to apologize. It's just, when you apologize to someone and you don't mean it, or you don't do it right, it makes you angry to be doing it at all, and then you can't have peace. There is real power in saying "I'm sorry I hurt your feelings" instead of, "Im sorry IF I hurt your feelings" or "I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt." I'm not trying to toot my own horn (If I were I wouldn't be admitting to having to say "I'm sorry" so many times) I'm saying that I notice that although sometimes an apology is hard to cough up, it really becomes so easy if you just do it right, and mean every word.

3 comments:

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

Ashley, I'm sorry I laughed at you that time you got diarrhea in Barnes & Noble, and I'm sorry for telling everyone about it, and I'm sorry for repeating it now. -- Know that movie? Your post made me think of that quote. You're so right though. Kudos to you for saying what needs to be said!

Brandis said...

ha ha, that makes me think about the email that I wrote to the HOA today. I was masking my irritation towards them with some form of an apology, but mostly I was just mad at them and I really wasn't sorry for letting my tree be crooked. :) Remember when we all used to get letters from the HOA because they would go around the neighborhood while we were at church to see whose garbage cans were still out? Ah, those were the days. :)
On a serious note though, you are totally right and it takes some serious humility to apologize and really mean it.

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

The quote is from Mean Girls. If you've never seen it, it's worth a viewing. It'll really take you back to high school.