An Apple a Day...


Who says Family Night can't be fun?? Here is the background information... For as long as Dave and I have been married, he has wanted me to buy Gala apples, and I didn't know I had a preference, so I bought Gala. Well, after a time, I got tired of Gala apples, and I thought to myself, there has to be something out there in this big wide world besides Gala. ***Enter the Superstition Ranch Market.*** This is by far my favorite store, and with such cheap and tasty and fresh produce, you can afford to branch out a little. With much deliberation, I decided that I liked Fuji and Pink Ladies, with Honey Crisp running second. I have tried and tried to get Dave to switch over to Either Fuji or Pink Lady, but he swears by his stinky ol' Gala apples. ***Enter- Ashley's great idea!*** Today I went to the Ranch Market and bought one of every type of apple they had- 10 in total. Tonight for Family night we had a blind taste test for Family night, first Dave, then me. We used a 5 point ranking system, 5 being excellent, 4 being good, 3 was fair, 2 was pretty gross, and a 1 was downright nasty! (yes, I have been planning this activity in my mind for some time now!) Well, wouldn't you know...the only two Dave ranked 5 were Pink Lady, and Fuji. (He gave Gala a 4) I ended up giving Fuji and Cameo a 5. For anyone curious about how the rest of the test went, or thinking about venturing out into the big bad world of apple consumption and just don't know where to begin- here are our results...
GOLDEN DELICIOUS
D-3
A-3

UNKNOWN #1 (THE STICKER FELL OFF AND I DIDN'T RECOGNIZE IT...)
D-3
A-2

BRAEBURN
D-3
A-2

RED DELICIOUS
D-4
A-2

CAMEO
D-3
A-5

FUJI
D-5
A-5

GALA
D-4
A-4

UNKNOWN #2 (AGAIN WITH NO STICKER)
D-4
A-1 (I thought it tasted like urine....)

PINK LADY
D-5
A-4

HONEY CRISP
D-3
A-3

Now here's the funny part of the story, even after seeing the results, Dave still swears that he likes Gala best! ARG!!! I told him I will be buying us Pink Ladies and Fuji and he put his foot down. Is this pure stubborness at its finest, or what?

14 comments:

LindsayJ said...

I just love stuff like this, what a great idea, Fuji all the way! Sounds like tons of fun!

Jen and Bryan said...

men are so stubborn!! good thing we aren't. ;)

michelle said...

Great idea. I usually sample different varieties at farmers markets but this could be really fun. It reminds me of America's Test Kitchen.

We did this once for Relief Society with chocolate. Super fun.

Brandis said...

I am laughing so hard, Ashley. That is hilarious. I always buy whichever apples are on sale (but never red delicious because I don't think they're delicious at all!) What a fun thing to do. I might have to steal your idea since it sounds like something the kids would like. :)

Nedra Tietjen said...

That is exactly how I rate my date and so far, like Dave, I much happier with what I started with... :)

Layne and Kelly Nelson said...

I love blind taste testing. Layne and I have done quite a bit of it, but never with fruit so I was very interested in your results. I too get bored with Gala's and am interested in getting some Fuji's and Pink Ladies. Fun family night! And tell Dave he's being mule. :)

ThePalmers said...

Ashley- That is so funny. Dave doesnt seem so stubborn in person... I am glad he is a little stubborn under there... otherwise, he could get a little bossed around living with you. Believe me- thats how I got so stubborn! :) I love you sis!

Cicily said...

What a turd. I love the idea, great way to make a point and have fun at the same time.

molly said...

This is hilarious. I love it. I am so with you on the Fuji, sounds like we should try pink ladies too.
I think you should just buy what you want, if he wants something else... he can go to the store! LOL

The Hoopers said...

Yeah for Fuji's! That's our best, but Ryan doesn't like it when they are from Safeway. Yes, he can always tell too.

JoEllen said...

What a great idea! Is this Superstition Ranch Market as good as you say? I've had a tough time trying to find good, cheap produce lately. I think I'd be willing to drive a few extra miles for that...

Flaherty Fam said...

Okay, this was absolutely hilarious. This has to go down as the most original FHE activity. Very Creative! Too bad, Dave still won't admit you're right.

Elise said...

This is the coolest idea ever! I'm doing it.

Mimi said...

I'm totally cracking up! Love the idea and so glad you blogged about it! Check out the bunko blog, new pics were added!