Letter a Day

I'm such a slacker. Seriously. Several people have asked about our "Letter of the Day" that Jaxon and I have been doing. It's harder than I thought to get a VERY SIMPLE craft ready everyday, so it has turned into more like "A Few Letters a Week" but I'm okay with it.

(Including getting the craft ready, letter of the day usually takes about 20-30 minutes....TOTALLY DO-ABLE!!!)

So here is what we do everyday-
1. We have flashcards that have a separate card for upper and lower case. On the backs of each card is a picture of something that starts with that letter. (Got them at Walmart- they're great!)

So...say we were doing the letter A- we would use the flash cards and say this little rhyme/song-

Big A, Little a, What begins with 'ahh' (say the sound not the name this time)
(then I turn the card over so he can see the pictures on the back)
Ant and Alligator , Ahh. Ahh. Ahh.

Everyday we say that rhyme for all previous letters, then do the letter of the day.

2. I got this Crayola book also at Walmart. Since Jaxon is 4, he practices 4 letters per line. (You will see a finished page in a second...)


3. We use our window crayons and draw a little and big letter in each of the 5 colors.

4. I didn't take a picure for this, but #4 is that Jaxon can pick any of his books from his shelf, and we have to find the letter 5 times. At least one has to be a capital letter. Occasionally I have to help him, but usually he does a great job!

5. CRAFT! I just got online one day and spent about an hour searching for crafts that start with each letter. They are seriously simple. If you have markers/crayons, glue, and paper, you can do most of them.

In the picture below is fingerprint ANTS, BEAR mask, CARROT, DINOSAUR, ELEPHANT, and FISH. Jaxon loves the craft and he will do all the other things with no complaints to get to it! It also shows the printing work he has done for each craft. He loves looking at his work, and I highly recommend displaying it!




We then have a paper pinned to the wall (not pictured, sorry) that has all 26 letters on it, in order. And we got some letter stickers at the dollar store. When we finish our letter each day, he gets to find it in the stickers, and cover that letter on the wall. When we are done with all 26 we are going to go to Sunsplash...or something like that. This way he can see how close we are to finishing, and doesn't pester me about it. It also helps with counting and subtracting, because everytime we put a new letter sticker up, he figures out how many we have done, and how many we have left!



3 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow Ash!! BYU El. Ed paid off!! :) J/K! You are such a great mom! I admire you so much in every way! Jaxon is so lucky to have a sweet, diligent mother like yourself. I need to do stuff like that with my girls more. I was better with Parker but the girls have missed out! HOw old is Jaxon exactly? 4 and how many months? Also is he in preschool? Are you just doing this for the summer or will you continue throughout the year? All I have to say, is I'm impressed! I am printing this off to put in my "blog ideas" file for a later date, when I get my life back on a schedule. :) You are wonderful, I think about you often, and truly hope you are doing well!

AnnaMarie said...

Good job! That sounds like a lot of fun.

michelle said...

what a great post, tons of good ideas here. Love the "pick a book and find the letter 5 times" and the crayons on the windows (we have street-facing windows with tons of traffic and the girls love looking out them) and the crafts! I think a few times a week is good for sure. What a great project.

Annabelle learned her letters last year and we started on the sounds but them I haven't done anything in months.

I'm definitely inspired.