I just got a double MOTY (Mother of the Year)

...and not in a good way. After that last positive and uplifting motherhood post, this one is bringing my soaring spirits right DOWN. Sometimes, without even knowing he is doing it, Jaxon really puts me in my place. Examples 1 AND 2...
1. We don't say "Stupid" at our house....except... sometimes I forget and say it while talking on the phone. I slipped twice in one day last week and Jaxon proceeded to start calling everything and everyone stupid. That in itself made me feel bad enough, becuase it was obviously my example that set him off. Well, I kept explaining that I was sorry, and how I forgot and we DON'T SAY STUPID. When Dave got home, Jaxon called something stupid, and Dave really gave it to him...Jaxon then said,
"Well, Mom says stupid, and if she says stupid, then I can say stupid, because THAT'S FAIR! I get to say stupid when Mommy says stupid, and she said stupid A LOT OF TIMES TODAY!" (please note that he used the actual word stupid as many times as possible just to get his point across...) Seriously...why does he hear nothing I want him to, and everything I don't want him to?
..............................................ENTER EXAMPLE #2...100 times worse in my opinion.......................
2. I have talked about the format of my exercise class before. Every 3 months we get a video with new moves and music to memorize and we have a two week "party" at the gym where we play only that and have prizes and dress up etc... Well, in our new release that I have been working on memorizing, the song I Kissed A Girl by Katie Perry is on there. I really hate that song. Mostly because it is so dang catchy and I wish it had different words because I love the actual tune, and even hating the song, if I hear the slightest snippet, it's stuck in my head ALL DAY and I find myself singing it...ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGG!!!
I thought I had been very careful about never listening to that song while going over my music in the car and not practicing that song with Jaxon around. Obviously I have failed miserably. Tonight right after family prayer, Jaxon says to Dave,
"Mom kisses girls at the gym." Just so matter of factly and out of the blue.
Dave said, "Uh....what?"
Jaxon: "MOM KISSES GIRLS AT THE GYM!!!!"
(ME intervening because I knew exactly where this was coming from and trying to avoid it...)
"Jaxon, I only Kiss you and Daddy, and you are both boys!"
Jaxon: "Well how come your gym song says you like to kiss girls and then you go practice with girls at the gym then???" (With a serious attitude as if he was certainly going to prove me wrong...)
So, I told a big whopper of a lie to try to rectify this horrifying situation...
Me: "Jaxon- A boy sings that song. Boys can kiss girls if they are in love and married so that is what he is talking about."
Jaxon: "okay..." (As if he knew there was something he was missing in that arguement but couldn't quite figure out what it was...)
Somedays are just better...or worse...than others.

5 comments:

Valerie: said...

hahah Busted!! no more kissing girls at the gym for you!! hehe

AnnaMarie said...

Oh, Ashley. Worse is yet to come. He's starting school! You are completely fine, and so is Jaxon. Love you!

Roger and Stephnie said...

Man, nothing gets past that kid! He reminds me of my 5 year old. That is so funny! (You are being a good mom by the way) :)

Trish said...

I feel the exact same way about that song! Sometimes that kind of junk in the world just makes you just want to listen to Mo-tab all day long! Fortunately I don't see that song as making into onto any bodyflow releases, ever- so I should be safe. I don't know if Jaxon is ready or not, but it'll be nice when you can tell him the truth about it. (When he is older and can understand)

Sarah said...

Oh, I so agree with you and that song. I immediately change the station if it's on.
It's way too catchy for a super inappropriate song.
And you know, you're a great mom. Even with your potty language and fibs.
Thanks for sharing your highs and lows with us.
'Cause you know, we all have them.
Love you.