Jaxon Lately

I know I'm not the only one who worries, when a new child comes, how will it affect your relationship with your other child/children? I was worried about my relationship with Jaxon, because it had just been he and I for so long.  How will you have enough love for both? Will you love one more than the other? 
 
  Dave and I were talking last night about the sweet changes in our family since Cooper has joined us.  It's like there is even more of Jaxon to love because we love beyong measure the new role he plays- BROTHER!  Even though having a baby around has been an adjustment period, and we have had our fair share of tantrums, "NO!" and misbehavior, he has NEVER taken it out on Coop. Jaxon JUST ADORES HIM!  It is so precious to see the way he treats Cooper, the things that he whispers to him, etc.

   Before Cooper we KNEW our family was incomplete.  We aren't sure if now it is "Complete" but it certainly is not incomplete anymore.  I think (hope) that Jaxon is so much older and has wanted a sibling for so long, that even when Cooper starts moving/walking/terrorizing Jaxon's things, that Jaxon will be very patient.  I can't wait to see them interact more together!

   Jaxon's life has just continued to zoom right along...I guess I'm the only one that has really made any huge significant changes to daily life...as in...I don't do anything right now! (Which is a pretty huge change for me, because I always like to be on the go!) He loves first grade, but some days more than others.  He has lots of friends in his class, but doesn't seem to gravitate towards one particular person.  He loves to play tetherball, so instead of sticking with one particular friend at recess, he hangs out with whoever is playing tetherball.  I had his first Parent teacher conference last week and his teacher said he is very social, he loves people, and makes friends with everyone. Yup- we knew that!  She also said he has a hard time not talking to everyone in class, especially someone who needs help. Again- not surprising!  She said he has great comments and obviously understands and processes the things that she tells the class, which she really enjoys.  Lastly she said she wants him to work on not talking in class, and better handwriting.  I didn't bother to tell her that I was working on not talking in class my entire life. I wasn't a bad kid either...I JUST REALLY LIKE PEOPLE!  We are working on it, but there are a lot worse things to be struggling with!

   Jaxon is in his last year of Let's Play Music, and he is really excelling this year. For some reason, he adores practicing on G & G's REAL piano, vs. the keyboard we had at the old house.  Not sure how we are going to keep the momentum up once we move!  He is doing great though, and really enjoying it! 
 
Jaxon still has as much energy as ever, and luckily with it cooling down a little at night here these days, he has been playing in G & G's back yard, which is about 7 times bigger than ours was. I am really looking forward to living right across from the park, so he can play there all winter! He adores playdates with his cousins- namely Hailey or Oakley.  He loves to go get treats with Grandpa, and watching Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy with Grandma.  He loves playing ANYTHING with daddy, and since I'm still having lots of pain, I mostly read and snuggle with him.  But I have started going outside and pitching a ball to him while he swings wildly at it with a badmitton racket- whatever works! 
Here he is a with a cup-pyramid he worked incredibly hard on. Grandpa was stunned that it stayed up at all because it was VERY crooked! Jaxon was so proud we left it up on the middle of the kitchen for 2 days...then grammie couldn't handle walking around it any longer!


  Jaxon still wakes up nice (not-so-nice) and early around 6am or a little before. (he's not allowed to come out before 6)  Somehow this must run in the family, because Cooper does the same thing. (Clearly they got this from Dave, because that is TOO EARLY FOR ME!!!) Too early or not, that's when our days start around here.  Cooper usually comes into our bed for a few minutes and has a bottle, and then Dave gets in the shower for work and Cooper Joins him.  Now that Jaxon is hip to the schedule, he makes sure to hop in too... it's a regular party! Jaxon loves that he gets to help soap up Coop, and mostly that they are doing a "guy activity." He is just so anxious to be interacting with Cooper in any way!
  Jaxon still reads before bed, but is usually so exhausted he only reads for about 10 minutes vs. the half hour we allow him.  Then he comes and gets us to tuck him in.  He is now reading easy chapter books and is so proud of himself! He switches between Junie B. Jones and The Magic Treehouse, and I LOVE that he is developing a love for reading! 
  The other day he got into the car, didn't say a word to me, and started reading. I got out of him that he had started his new Junie B. Jones book that morning and was so into it that he even took it out to the playground to read at recess. Some parents may be alarmed at the "nerdiness" of that statement, but I LOVED IT!!!  He said, "Do you know, they TOTALLY LET YOU bring books out to recess? Can you believe it? It's SO AWESOME!!"  He only had one chapter left to read and finished it before we got home...he was so proud of himself for finishing a chapter book in just one day!
 
 
 
I'm sad to admit that I'm still working on my patience at the end of the day.  But I really am working on it. Jaxon is a great boy, with TONS of energy, but who rarely is naughty on purpose.  I am trying to remember how much he still needs mom time, so after Coop goes to bed (5:30ish) and we eat dinner. We try to do something fun together.  Immediately he starts holding my hand, hugging me, telling me he loves me, and generally wanting to be close. Obviously this is something he still very much wants and needs. I really do look forward to the days when I can pop Coop in the stroller and walk across the street to the park with Jaxon.  He will LOVE THAT! Or, when Coop is snoozing J and I can head over there and I will just bring the monitor! 
  Although I of course love our sweet sweet Cooper and wouldn't change our new family dynamics for the world, I do at times miss the foot-loose-and-fancy-free times Jaxon and I had.  We haven't had those times really, since I got pregnant because I was so sick, and then J started full day first grade, but long gone are the days where we could decide to take off and do who-knows-what on a moments notice.  No diaper bags to pack, no naps to plan around, to special bottles or baby food to bring. Don't get me wrong, I so love our new family and know with all my heart it is just perfect for us now, I do remember fondly those sweet times with Jaxon. Oh how I love my big big boy!


No comments: